What are we going to do for dinner? The question that we ask each other every day and the question that we rarely have an answer for. We used to eat out about 5-6 times a week… yeah a lot. We don’t mind cooking, we actually enjoy trying new things and spending time together in the kitchen. But our schedule was pretty crazy for the first three years of our marriage and we just went with convenience. Plus I really didn’t like our old kitchen. Both our stove and oven did not cook evenly and our dishwasher did not clean worth a flip.
Then we moved into the square house and we had worked so hard on the kitchen that I actually wanted to cook again. We have all new appliances that work amazingly and we have been watching cooking shows that inspire us to get creative in the kitchen or in most cases in the summer, on the grill. We used to be vegetarian but we were running out of new things to fix all the time and I got so freaking tired of cooking the same thing over and over. So we are semi vegetarian… like 75% vegetarian these days 🙂
Tonight’s dinner was amazing. I found the base for the meal Pinterest but ended up changing it a bit based on what was in our fridge. The meal was simple, easy, and full of flavor! So many times I don’t want to cook because I feel like I don’t know how to add flavor and textures to my meals; our food just taste so bland all the time. As we have been experimenting more with flavors I’m slowly finding out how to combine the right ingredients to get the flavors we desire. Together we’ve also found out what we enjoy cooking together. I like finding new recipes and Philip enjoys grilling. Makes for a good team.
Here is what we had, Honey- Lime Chicken and Shrimp Skewers on a bed of Jasmine Rice:
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (I use gluten free since I have a gluten intolerance)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- juice of one lime
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 teaspoon Thai chile pepper sauce
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 can of pineapple chunks, keep the juice
- 1 zucchini
- broccoli florets
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 6 jumbo shrimp
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup of Jasmine Rice
- In a small bowl, combine your ingredients, through the bell pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour marinade over chicken breasts and shrimp and turn to coat. Cover and allow to marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Place all meat, veggies, and pineapple on wooden skewers alternating items on the skewers (we had enough for 7 skewers)
- Heat grill and cook Jasmine Rice
- Grill on medium high heat for 6 to 8 minutes per side, until juices run clear. (we cooked on a charcoal grill, loved the extra flavor the charcoal added)
- Grill Bell Peppers and serve with skewers.
- Serve over a bed of Jasmine Rice
What are your favorite recipes that you have cooked recently?